Savory Pumpkin Soup (vegan)Every recipe for pumpkin soup I found was full of animal products. Luckily, being a vegan is all about replacement, replacement, replacement in order to obtain the same great taste but maintaining your standards.
- Prep/Total Time: 20 min.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter (earth balance)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 16 oz. vegetable broth (1/2 box of Pacific organic brand)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
In a large saucepan, melt better. Add chopped onion and sauté for 2 minutes on medium-high heat. Add carrots and celery. Sauté until onions are beginning to brown. Stir in flour until vegetables are coated. Add broth and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
Add spices, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes on medium heat.
Add milk and frozen corn. Cook until corn is warmed. Serve or store until later.
Top with Tofutti Sour cream, pistachios, and chives (optional).